Recipients of bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees in certain STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering,Mathematics) fields may be eligible for a one-time 24 months extension of post-completion OPT (for a total eligibility of up to 29 months). The 24-month Stem Extension OPT is adjudicated (approved) by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
The end result of filing for the OPT 24 month STEM extension is an Employment Authorization Document (EAD card) which shows dates students are able to work legally in the United States.
Documents for OPT STEM Submission RequestEligibility for the STEM OPT ExtensionSTEM Extension OverviewSTEM Extension RequirementsTypes of Eligible EmploymentApplying for OPTWhat is OPT?Applying for a STEM OPT ExtensionLimited Period of Unemployment to Maintain StatusTravel Issues while on STEM Extension
- I-765 “Current” form; complete and signed
- Money order or cashier’s check endorsed to: US Department of Homeland Security (Verify the current I-765 fee with USCIS to make sure amount is correct; this is your responsibility not Atlantis University’s)
- Complete the I-983 form, to include the employers signature, your signature and submit to the DSO for approval (The OPT STEM extension application cannot be submitted without the approval of the I- 983 from by the DSO)
- I-20 form with OPT STEM recommendation and endorsed by Atlantis University’s DSO
- A copy of your previous I-20
- A copy of your STEM degree
- 2 passport photos(2 x 2 inches; white background)
- A copy of our Passport and US Visa
- I-94 with travel history
- A copy of your EAD card and social security card
- An employment offer letter on companies letterhead with companies e-verification code, companies EIN number, your job title & description & supervisors contact information(complete name, phone # & e-mail address)